Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- In 2014, the center is installing 1,800 solar panels that will produce 468kw of power. That is enough energy saved to power 83 homes for one year!
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Most of the center’s trash is taken to a facility that sorts out the recyclable materials and only discards the “true” waste.
- We also have installed a shared recycle compactor so the entire mall has the opportunity to recycle.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- Lakewood Center hosts a free two-day Electronic Waste Recycling Event annually around Earth Day to help
- In 2008, with the demolition of the former Macys nearly 95 percent of the materials were recycled.
Lakewood Center is proud to partner with local nonprofit TreePeople to create a more water-secure and climate-resilient community. For more than 40 years, TreePeople has inspired and supported people to plant and care for trees, harvest rain to renew depleted landscapes, and reduce water consumption to keep our cities cool, promote healthy soil and improve local water. Visit TreePeople.org to learn more or attend a FREE workshop.
Looking for a Gift that Gives Back?
Dedicate a Tree!
Tree dedications are the perfect way to show your love and support a
sustainable community. Dedicate one tree in a loved one’s honor for only $25, or an entire grove for $100. Visit https://www.treepeople.org/tree-dedications
to learn more.
Kids Club meets at 11:00 A.M. in front of Macy's, in Center Court. It's free, fun and every month th...